Moore Hall is situated on the shores of Lough Carra.
This is a very relaxing area on the shores of Lough Carra which is renowned for its famous brown trout fishing. The lake has a very distinctive green colour which is attributed to its marl bottom that reflects in the sunshine.The lakeshore is rich in native flora and wildlife. Many species of wild duck are present, as well as swans and coots. Lough Carra, one of the three great lakes in the west of Ireland, is drained into nearby Lough Mask by means of a small river, known as the Keel river. The network of forest roads provides a very pleasant walk (Moore Hall Walk), the focal point of which is the ruins of Moore Hall House.
Moore Hall House was built by George Moore in 1792 and completed in 1796. George amassed a considerable fortune in Alicante, Spain, as a wine merchant and builder. He also owned a fleet of ships. He died in 1799 and is buried near Stride Co Mayo. Moore Hall was burned in 1922.
Moore Hall is the birth place of George's son, John Moore, who was made President of the Republic of Connaught after the dispersal of the British forces following the 'races of Castlebar' in 1798. His son, George Henry Moore, was a renowned racehorse owner and one-time MP for Co. Mayo. George Moore, a leading figure in the Irish Literary Revival, was born at Moore Hall in 1852.
A number of George Moore's descendants are buried at nearby Kiltoom, the burial site of the Moore family, which can be seen from the forest path south of the car park.
Moore Hall FeaturesArchaeological, Picnic Site, Walking Trails,
How do I get there?Moore Hall is situated 11km north of Ballinrobe on a 3rd class road to Ballygarris cross. Turn left here for Carnacon village. After crossing Annie's bridge, take the next left turn at Lough Carra lake. This will take you to the car parking site.
Get directions to this site
|No of car spaces:||20|
|Contact name:||Joe Finn|