1½ Km south of the N22 and 10 km east of Macroom near the village of Kilmurry.
Warrenscourt comprises some 110 ha. of gently sloping woodland with a northerly aspect overlooking the Buingea river and the rich farmland all around it. Once part of the Warrenscourt demesne it's oak and beech woodlands having become depleted during the 2nd world war were restocked with mainly conifers in the early sixties. A wide variety of species were planted including Douglas fir, Norway spruce, Sitka spruce, Western hemlock, Scots pine and Japanese larch.
On entering the car park at Warrenscourt, visitors can catch a trail through mature Norway spruce which leads to a grassy opening by the Buingea river which is framed by giant poplars reaching 30 meters towards the sky. Warrens bridge with its 5 arches may be viewed from this point
Travelling east along the trail one arrives at a footbridge across the Buingea and into a stand of semi mature Norway spruce with an odd giant beech and a scattering of ash, beech and sycamore. A generous helping of deadwood along with damp soil conditions provides the perfect habitat for mosses, lichens, algae, fungi and creepy crawlers of all kinds. The trail now joins up with the forest road which is a tree lined avenue of beech and sycamore. This was once known as the "Butter Road", used by farmers to bring their butter to the Cork market.
On the right watch out for a statue to An Sagart Paroiste Domhnall O Suilliobhain who was born here in 1790. After becoming a priest he taught in Maynooth and was the first person to translate the bible into Irish. He became parish priest in Enniskeane where he did trojan work for the people during the famine. He died in 1854.
This trail leads to the upper car park at the Kilmurry entrance which has space for 10 cars as well as picnic facilities. A return journey along this trail will take 1 to 1½ hours. It would be rated as easy going or a muscle loosener.
A looped trail from the upper car park leads right into the heart of the forest. Remnants of oak and beech are reminders of the former species composition of the forest. As one decends the hill and turns east a viewing point reveals a panorama of the Derrynasaggart and Boggeragh mountains with clear views of the Paps, Mullaghanish, Mushera More and Mushera Beg.In the foreground can be seen Warrenscourt House and lakes. This looped trail which is approx, 2.4Km's long leads back to the old Butter Road
Warrenscourt FeaturesPicnic Site, Walking Trails, Car Parking,
How do I get there?Warrenscourt wood may be accessed from 2 different points.
(1) From Macroom town travel east along the N22 for 8 km. At "Dooniskey Stores" take a right along a minor road for 1 km to a 4 crossroads, turn left and then take a right into the car park and picnic site.
(2) After passing the Church in Kilmurry village take a right and travel 300 meters to an entrance on the right. A gravelled road from here leads to a car park.
Get directions to this site
|No of car spaces:||30|
|Contact name:||Pat Mungovan|