14 Km's east of Skibbereen on the N71 and 6 Km's north west of Rosscarbery
Dromillihy or 'Drom Oilche' in Irish, means the ridge of the rocky place. This sandstone ridge rises to 80m and is bounded close to the Roury River on the eastern side. The woodland is approximately 81 acres in size and is mainly comprised of mixed broadleaf species including Oak and Beech. It is an old woodland site meaning that it has been consistently wooded since the 1830's. There are many elements of native species apparent in Dromillihy with native trees as understorey and a diverse natural field layer flora. The display of bluebells carpeting the woodland floor is a sight to behold from April to early summer. Wildlife is abundant with foxes, badgers, rabbits, dippers and herons present along with many song birds.
Historically, the wood once formed part of the Morris estate. They were one of the principal landowners in the barony of East and West Carbery from the late 1600's. The first settler being Captain William Morris, a Parliamentarian solider of Welsh extraction who was granted over 1500 acres after the Cromwellian conquest in 1649-51. There are a number of old houses in the area that are associated with the family, including nearby Castle Salem and Cellmount, a wall of which is still apparent within this forest.
Also of note in the area is a ruined water mill located to the north east of the woods, that appears on old OSI maps as a 'tuck' mill. In later years, although known locally as a corn mill, there is evidence that the mill became a general provender mill where all manner of cereals crops were brought for milling. Water from a mill race would have driven the original mill wheel and grinding stones that are still in evidence on the site of the original mill today.
There is a 1.6km waymarked looped walk at Dromilihy that includes a number of information points that will provide further comment on tree species and historical features in the property. Bring a packed lunch as there are a number of picnic tables dotted around the car park.
Dromillihy FeaturesCar Parking, Picnic Site, Walking Trails, Archaeological,
How do I get there?From Skibbereen take the N71 (signposted for Clonakilty, Bandon and Cork), go through the village of Leap. Travel a further 3 Km's to a forest entrance and car park on the right. Be careful crossing a busy road. From Rosscarbery descend a steep hill to the N71. Take a right and travel 6 Km's to the forest entrance on the left.
Get directions to this site
|No of car spaces:||10|
|Contact name:||Liam O' Regan|